Commercializing inventions resulting from University of Cincinnati research is a necessary first step toward developing products and services from the scholarly work conducted on campus. These products and services produce beneficial outcomes like saving lives, improving the quality of life and enhancing productivity and global competitiveness, and fall within one of the core missions of the university.
UCTAC serves to spur innovation and business creation by providing the guidance, education and tools necessary to bring the results of your cutting-edge research to the commercial sector. Among our responsibilities are the following:
- Evaluate new inventions created by our faculty/staff/students to identify promising new devices, results, technologies, etc. (inventions)
- File for patent protection on a case-by-case basis
- Foster the formation of startup companies
- Grant licenses to commercial partners
- Provide proof-of-concept funding to advance promising discoveries
- Work with other university commercialization units to ensure compliance with UC and government policy
- Educate the UC community on commercialization and entrepreneurship
In accordance with UC policy and Ohio law, all inventions created by UC employees in the course of their employment and/or using substantial UC resources are owned by UC. Moreover, UCTAC is the only entity legally allowed to manage UC inventions and associated intellectual property on behalf of the university.
By performing the above activities, UCTAC serves to protect our faculty, staff, students and the university, and maximizes the societal impact and economic return of your discoveries.